As parents and carers, we would like you to support your children by providing the best learning environment possible at home that suits them. Every child is different, but here are some of our suggestions for harmonious homework…
- Sit quietly at a desk, kitchen table, a flat surface to be able to easily write, neatly and with ease.
- Few distractions, preferably none, background music can be really distracting.
- Some children benefit from reading the task aloud as it will help them to internalise it when hearing it as well as seeing it.
- Encourage your child to write in sentences. Some children may like to rehearse the sentence aloud first before writing it. (We do this in class)
- Encourage your child to sound out challenging words; please do not just tell them. Can they work out the word for themselves?
- If you child is unfamiliar with a word/ concept as they read the task, please do not tell them the answer or meaning. Can they work the answer out for themselves?
- Lastly, we are only asking the children to work for 30 minutes on each task set – Maths, English and spelling. If they have not completed the task in the time suggested, please just send it in and we will go over it in class. As we progress into the term, the children’s confidence will develop and their pace of work will get quicker.
Year Four team